Car insurance. Health insurance. Homeowner’s insurance. Life insurance. For most American workers, these insurance policies are things we understand, discuss, and often times see as necessities. However, there’s one form of insurance that is harder to talk about because no one wants to think that it could happen to them. Yes, we’re talking about disability insurance.
Consider the following statistics about disability:
1. One-third of employed Americans today will become disabled for at least 90 days at some point in their careers.
2. Most Americans are better prepared financially in the case of death (usually with life insurance) than if they get disabled. Yet, the chances are at least three to five times greater that a disability could occur.
3. About 110 million Americans do not have long-term disability insurance.
4. Approximately 8 million adults have some disability that limits or prevents them from working.
5. Studies show that 46% of all foreclosures on conventional mortgages are brought about by a disability, while only 2% are caused by a homeowner’s death.
If you want to learn more, InternetCE is here to help with all your North Carolina insurance continuing education needs! Check out our new course: Disability Insurance “How-To’s” for the W2s to find out more about employees’ likelihood of experiencing a disability, and the important role disability insurance plays in protecting the American workforce.